Basic Yellow Cake
2 ¼ cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt.
½ teaspoon ginger
½ # or two sticks of butter, room temp
2 cups sugar
4 Large Eggs yolks
1 cup of milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 large egg whites
1. Preheat to 350 and make sure the oven racks are centered. Butter two 8” rounds or One 12” round or as many cup cakes as you can fill ¾’s full. Line the pans with a single layer of parchment.
2. Sift together all the dry ingredients. Set aside, Separate the eggs and set aside. Measure the rest of the ingredients out. Cut the butter into easy to handle pieces.
3. In a large bowl of electric mixer, cream the butter in high speed, scraping down at intervals until fluffy and the color has changed to a lighter shade. About 2 minutes. Add the sugar and continue to blend until fluffy and light.
4. Add the egg yolks one at a time (I mean it!) being sure each is well blended before adding another one. Add vanilla and milk….slowly or you and the counter will be covered with the sloshing.
5. On low speed add the flour and sour cream alternatively. Ending with the flour. Scrape the sides of the bowl and then “BEAT” again until all is smooth.
6. Transfer the batter to another bowl if you don’t have another mixer bowl. Wash it and dry it completely, making sure that there are no extra bits of batter that could interfere with egg whites.
7. Add the Egg whites and beat until soft peaks form. Then gently fold the egg whites into your batter with a rubber spatula. I smooth this out if needed, buy gently (Gently I say) agitating with a whisk…..gently. We don’t want to deflate the air pockets. But, we also don’t want white spots of meringue in the batter either.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and place in the center of the oven. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.